A Love : Hate Relationship
I love it because:
- After 5weeks of an average of 25hrs training (including running, biking, swimming/aqua jogging and walking) and three hard ones of those being here in La Palma I am sufficiently tired and in need of some recovery.
- For the runner geeks out there (Matt, Tony) who want to know more stats here they are (for everyone else skip this point):
|Diet (General)||Breakfast||Banana, yoghurt, honey, almonds, strawberries (plus oats if I am doing a long run), black coffee (I have cut out milk)|
|Lunch||Salad with a mixture of: Lettuce, tomato, avocado, poached eggs, beetroot, apple, carrot, tuna and sundried tomatos. Mule Refuel bar, black coffee|
|Dinner||Salad (as above) or grilled vegetables. Brown rice or lentils (if I feel I need some more carbo’s) plus protein – chicken, tuna, steak, eggs, tofu|
|Snack||Nuts, yoghurt or ice-cream, chai tea|
|Training||Mon||1hr run, 1-2hr bike, 1hr swim/aqua jog|
|Tues||4-5hrs run, ~30mins swim/aqua jog|
|Wed||2-2.5hr run, ~30mins swim/aqua jog, 2.5hr bike|
|Thurs||4-5hrs run, ~30mins swim/aqua jog|
|Fri||30mins swim/aqua jog, recovery day|
|Sat||2-2.5hr run, ~30mins swim/aqua jog, 2.5hr bike|
|Sun||4-6hr run plus 1hr walk at end, ~30mins swim/aqua jog|
- I have more time to go to the beach, the markets, cafes, chatting to people and just enjoy being somewhere new and exciting
I hate it because:
- I love running and spending days out in the mountains exploring
- It is hard to hurry up and wait
- I can’t sit still for long
- I just want to race…NOW!
But like always, I never feel like you have done enough even though I have done what I can do. I have really loved the training out here although it has been very tough – hard, technical and hot. My poor shoes have been proof of the intensity of the terrain.
It is hard to judge how fit I really am as I haven’t had anyone, any race or any time trials to compare myself too. I know I am fit, but I guess we will see how fit on the day, when I go head to head with a field of incredibly strong women. Here is just a short list of some of the competition: IAU Trail World Champion Maud Gobert from France; Americans Darcy Africa, 2011 Hard-Rock 100; Nikki Kimball, 3rd 2011Western States 100 and 2007 TNF Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc®; Kasia Zajac from Poland, Zugspitz Super Trail 2011. Germanys Julia Bottger and Spanish Nuria Picas.
This week the rest of my Salomon family arrive. I am really looking forward to showing them just some of the gems I have found on this incredible island. It is always so calming to be able to share their experience, passion, motivation and support in something we all work so hard for.